What is “IM4Transit”?:
- IM4Transit is a campaign of the Board of the Florida Public Transportation Association to identify, recruit, and mobilize at least 100,000 pro-transit Floridians.
- IM4Transit is a ready community of transit supporters in Florida that can be mobilized “to give transit a voice” during transit-related debates in the public marketplace of ideas.
- We are nonpartisan and have no views outside our core mission of educating the public and elected officials about the benefits and importance of public transportation to Florida.
- We are a virtual community of transit riders, employees and stakeholders sustained by social media, web, and e-newsletters.
- 85% of transit systems nationally are cutting service, raising fares, laying off. Most elected officials are under impression that transit is not an important issue to voters-constituents. Our goal is to create a community of at least 100,000 pro-transit Floridians to help educate decision-makers about the benefits of transit to Florida.
- Congress has proposed to cut more than one-third (37%) of federal funding across the board for public transit and surface transportation programs. If these cuts are implemented, transit riders can expect service delays, fare increases and over-crowding. The proposed cuts to funding will increase unemployment and leave many Floridians stranded without access to their jobs and basic services such as grocery stores, doctors and faith services.
- Traffic congestion is bad for business. Most major employers want to locate in an area served by public transit to ensure that workforce can get to work… even during times of high gas prices. For example, biotech companies looking to locate in Florida have indicated that public transportation infrastructure is one of their top three concerns when evaluating areas for relocation. While the Research Triangle, California and Texas heavily invest in transit, Florida needs to remain competitive.
- Most Floridians favor public transit and want Florida transit to be as convenient as it was in their hometowns of New York, Philadelphia, Boston, etc.
- 42% of people who favor transit feel so strongly about it that they “are willing to carry the message that public transportation is important to Florida’s future”. This is exactly why we are organizing IM4Transit.
- The American Public Transportation Association and every transit agency in Florida are committed to the success of this campaign.
- IM4Transit is an inclusive program and we invite other organizations, businesses, and governmental agencies to help in our public education and recruitment efforts. We are asking partners to send invitations to join IM4Transit to their Florida databases. Please see the get involved page.